Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Classic Root Vegetable & Sausage Stew
This is a fantastic traditional one-pot wonder with very classic Swedish flavours. Root vegetables, allspice, bay leaves, sausages, beer! We make it on some of our guided adventures and it's one of our favs. It's a perfect dish for your third or fourth dinner.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 6 each mixed sausages, e.g. kabanoss, bratwurst, lamb
- 1 each yellow onion
- 2 each parsnip
- 2 each carrots
- 800 grams potatoes reg, not new potatoes
- 1 wedge cabbage (can be excluded)
- 330 ml beer
- 1 liter chicken stock, 1 pack fond du chef makes 1 liter
- 10 whole allspice berries (free of charge section)
- 2 each bay leaves (free of charge section)
- 6 twigs fresh thyme, or 1/4 tsp dried (free of charge section) fresh is much preferable
- 0.5 bunch parsley (can be excluded)
- salt and pepper (free of charge section)
- 4 tblsp coarse mustard to serve
- 4 slices bread to serve
Cut sausages in pieces on a slant. Wedge onion. Cut parsnip, carrots and potatoes in pieces (appr 2-3 cm).
Layer ingredients in large pot, salt & pepper between each layer. Make a buquet of parsley and thyme and stick in the middle (save some parsley for garnish). Add beer and chicken stock so the veggies and sausage are just covered.
Bring to a boil, then simmer until root veggies are soft. Sprinkle chopped parsley on top and serve with coarse mustard and bread.